With everything going on right now, house for sale, getting ready to move, Josh in California, and me trying to manage four children and the house, I am a little overwhelmed. I was flipping through my scriptures this evening looking for some insight and I found this scripture that helped me put my experiences in perspective. It's in Doctrine and Covenants 122:7. It's when Joseph Smith was in Liberty Jail and in section 121 he asks, "O God, where art thou?" I have been wondering the same thing myself. When you do everything your supposed to, pay tithing, read your scriptures, pray, go to church , etc, you would think (or hope) that things would work out. I have felt that I'm left to deal with this on my own. This scripture offered some comfort:
And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good....Fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever. D&C 122:7All experiences, good and bad, are essential. My faith is being tested and I have found renewed hope in my Heavenly Father's plan for me and my family (watching us, I bet he gets a good chuckle every now and then :). Everything happens in His time, not mine. Although, I am grateful that I'm not being chased by the jaws of hell. Joseph Smith's faith is incredible and something I will strive for.

Thanks for sharing this! I've been struggling with a lot of things lately, and feeling the same way. It's always nice to know that I'm not the only one, and I'm grateful you shared the insight you got from the scriptures! Thanks.
ReplyDeletemary~ i'm subscribed to lds nuggets... i get a quote a day (i think). maybe one a week. i don't know. anyway! :) normally i just delete it from my inbox without looking at it. a lot of the time i get so frustrated with how things are progressing (or not progressing) that i'm not interested in being uplifted in any way.
ReplyDeletewell, this week, the lds nugget's subject line was 'believe'. what the hay, i opened it...
"I too believe that God will always make a way where there is no way. I believe that if we will walk in obedience to the commandments of God, if we will follow the counsel of the priesthood, he will open a way even where there appears to be no way." -gordon b. hinckley
"he will open a way even where there appears to be no way."
"he will open a way even where there appears to be no way."
it's my new mantra.
"each person's success and happiness, both now and in the eternities, depend largely on his or her responses to the difficulties of life. although some of the responses to adversity will vary, one response should be constant—trust in heavenly father and jesus christ."
you can do eet! :) love you girl.
Thanks Amy, isn't is great that we have so much to guide us. It's amazing how often I forget where to look for answers. :)
ReplyDeleteSarah, that quote is perfect! thanks
Amen! We all get bummed out and down about things and to know that things happen for a reason and we can all grow from trials is very comforting to me. Thank you for sharing that.
ReplyDelete